Instructors: Uli Wagner and Jan Maas
The course provides a glimpse into selected topics of current mathematical research interest. The aim is to familiarize participants with basic notions, problems, and results outside their own research area. The course format emphasizes interaction between students and active engagement.
To start with, you will be asked to group up in teams of two and choose one of the preselected topics.
The task and project of each team is to prepare five lectures and two recitations on your topic (this will cover two weeks of the course). The goal is to explain and teach the main ideas of a topic to the other students as clearly as possible. This involves
– getting an overview of the topic, possibly including finding additional references;
– selecting which aspects and parts of the material to present in the lectures (there will not be enough time to cover everything); this may include finding good examples or focusing on illustrative special cases that convey the main ideas and difficulties of a problem or result;
– carefully preparing a well-structured and detailed plan for the lectures (detailed notes, plus possibly some handouts, for blackboard talks, or slides for a slide talk, or a mixture of the two)
– choosing or designing exercises for the other students to solve, and co-moderating the discussions during the recitation.
Your grade will be based on
- your presentation (50%)
- homework (30%)
- active participation in class (20%)
|Tuesday February 28||11:30 - 12:45||Cutoff I||Andras and Tomas||12:45 - 13:30|
|Thursday March 2||13:30 - 14:45||Cutoff II||Andras and Tomas||-|
|Friday March 3||10:15 - 11:30||Cutoff III||Andras and Tomas||11:30 - 12:20|
|Tuesday March 7||12:30 - 13:45||Cutoff IV||Andras and Tomas||-|
|Tuesday March 14||12:30 - 13:45||Cutoff V||Andras and Tomas||14:00 - 14:50|
|Tuesday March 28||12:30 - 13:45||Primes I||Karen and Pascal||14:00 - 14:50|
|Thursday March 30||13:30 - 14:45||Primes II||Karen and Pascal||-|
|Friday March 31||10:15 - 11:30||Primes III||Karen and Pascal||11:30 - 12:20|
|Tuesday April 18||12:30 - 13:45||Primes IV||Karen and Pascal||-|
|Friday April 21||10:15 - 11:30||Primes V||Karen and Pascal||11:30 - 12:20|